Monday, May 13, 2013

Diabetes blog week day 1

Today's prompt is about what you share or don't share with your medical team.

Often our health care team only sees us for about 15 minutes several times a year, and they might not have a sense of what our lives are really like. Today, let’s pretend our medical team is reading our blogs. What do you wish they could see about your and/or your loved one's daily life with diabetes? On the other hand, what do you hope they don't see?  

   We are very new to diabetes.  M was just diagnosed at the beginning of February, so we haven't had much experience with this yet.  We have only had one follow up appointment shortly after she came home from the hospital and our next appointment isn't for a few more weeks, and with a new endo who is closer to our home.   So I will write about what I plan to share with her endo and team.  
     
I will probably overshare information with them.  This is my child I'm talking about (if it we me as the pt I may not share everything).  I want them to know how well M is dealing with diabetes (she's better than me).  She has been so responsible, her teacher and school nurse said she does better dealing with diabetes than some of the middle school kids (she is only if first grade)  I want them to know that she really, really wants a pump and I feel she is ready for it.  I want them to know how nervous I am about going to this Dr for the first time.  I want them to know that even though I shouldn't I will take her A1C personally.  I want them to know everything so that they can have the best plan for her.  

    I can't think of much that I don't want them to know about.  Maybe that she doesn't always eat the healthiest in terms of vegetable, but she is trying.  Also that she still doesn't like milk and will not drink it everyday like the nutritionist wanted her too.  (At least we went from never to 2-3 times a week).

   I look forward to M's next appointment so we can hopefully get started on pump training.  That will make her one happy girl!

    


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the DOC! Glad to have you apart of it for D-Blog week. I was diagnosed when I was 8 years old, more than 19 years ago. Please let me know if you have any questions. :)

    ReplyDelete