Friday, May 17, 2013

D-Blog week day 5 Wild Kingdom Wild Card

The prompt for today was Freaky Friday.  It asked if you could switch diabetes with any other chronic disease which would it be.  I couldn't answer this.  I do not want my daughter to have any chronic disease.  Also I can't say that one disease is "better" than other.  Unless you have lived with it you really do not know what it is like.  So instead I chose the wild kingdom wild card because I could have some fun with this.

   What is the ideal diabetes service animal? Think beyond the obvious and be creative in explaining why your choice is a good one. For example, maybe a seal would make a good service animal - it flaps its flippers and barks every time you get a good blood sugar reading! (Thanks to Tristan of Based on a True Story for this topic suggestion.)

    I know M would pick a dog.  She has wanted a dog since she could talk and she finally got one.  The timing wasn't great (a week before her diagnosis) but she loves her dog.  However as much as I like dogs my pick for her diabetes service animal would be a parrot.   

   Just think how loud a parrot could be to alert you to a low or high.  It would be great.  M could go anywhere with her parrot on her shoulder to alert her.  I could also teach the parrot to say "eat your carbs"  to make sure M eats all the food that I dosed her for.  Maybe I could even get to say "do your homework"
or "pick up your toys."   When she is at a friends house the parrot could fly back to me to report M's BG number.  


   The best part of having a parrot for a diabetes service animal is that M would no longer be known as the only kid in her school with diabetes.  She would be the girl who gets to come to school with a parrot on her shoulder.  And just think how awesome her pirate Halloween costume would be!

2 comments:

  1. That is great! I love the part about the parrot flying back to report the number!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! I want a Diabetic Alert Parrot too. :)

    ReplyDelete