Thursday, May 16, 2013

D-blog week day 4 Accomplishments



We don’t always realize it, but each one of us had come a long way since diabetes first came into our life. It doesn’t matter if it’s been 5 weeks, 5 years or 50 years, you’ve done something outstanding diabetes-wise. So today let’s share the greatest accomplishment you've made in terms of dealing with your (or your loved one’s) diabetes. No accomplishment is too big or too small - think about self-acceptance, something you’ve mastered (pump / exercise / diet / etc.), making a tough care decision (finding a new endo or support group / choosing to use or not use a technology / etc.). (Thanks to Hilary of Rainie and Me for this topic suggestion.)

   Diabetes is still very new to our household.  It has only been a little over 3 months since M was diagnosed.  But I still feel we have come a long way in just 3 short months.  I think the biggest accomplishment is in just how healthy M is now.  When I look at pictures of her just before diagnosis she was so skinny and sick.  She was always tired and just wanted to sit around.  Now she runs and plays like crazy.  (she is running the 50 yard dash at her school's Jr Olympics today). For me, my biggest accomplishment is that I no longer cry (well at least not as much as the first month!)  I see that she can still live a wonderful live with Type 1 diabetes.  
     M is now able to check her own BG and set up her shots - she still doesn't want to give herself the shot yet.  She is able to read food labels.  I'm pretty sure that when I was 7 I didn't know the difference between a carb, protein or fat.   
     Our biggest accomplishment though was this weekend.  M got to go play at a friends house without me!  Yes, she was only there for 2 hours, and no it wasn't at a meal time so we didn't have to worry about her shots. She went to her friends house armed with her meter, glucagon (which I went over with her friends mom) and juice boxes.   It was 2 hours of freedom and fun for her.

1 comment:

  1. The 3 months mark was when things seemed to change for us too. Those first few months were rougher on me then on my son, but at 3 months things just clicked. You're doing a good job mama and you will only become stronger.

    ReplyDelete