Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thirty Seven

   It has been a rocky 2 weeks blood sugar wise since M started on the Omnipod.  In retrospect the week before Christmas was probably not the best time to start on a pump, but I thought it would be good that she would be off school to get adjusted to it. 
  
     The first three days were beautiful. In range blood sugar numbers.  Then it was pod change day.  I don't know if it was something I did wrong or if there is just a learning curve but M had two pod fails within three days.   She was not a happy girl. (Since then we have had no more pod fails -- knock on wood)
  
    We were seeing numbers near 400.  Those kind of numbers scare me.  M's doctor had us make some changes to her settings on Christmas Eve.  Then the day after Christmas, M had a blood sugar number that scares me even more than the 400's.

     We were having a " 'Jammie day".  Just staying at home staying in our PJ's all day and were watching movies and playing with her new toys from Christmas.  She had just eaten a snack and we were snuggled on the couch watching a movie when she fell asleep.  In the back of my mind I thought maybe she is low, but I also knew she was tired from Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  About an hour and a half later I finally woke her up.  She seemed confused.  She wanted to eat the snack that she had just eaten before she fell asleep.  She also didn't know what I was talking about when I asked her what she wanted for dinner.  She wasn't making sense with questions she was asking me.   Before diabetes I would have thought she is just still tired, but not anymore.  I checked her blood sugar 37.  This is the lowest she has been.  Physically she was functioning fine, but not mentally.  I have seen her fingers shake when she is in the upper 60's.  But there was no shaking this time.  Just the confusion.  What would have happened if I had let her sleep longer.  I hate to even think about it.  What caused her to go low?  I will probably never know.  Since the low none of her pump setting have been changed and she has had no other lows (knock on wood again!)


No comments:

Post a Comment